- What is your name and what city do you rep? I'm Periii, and I'm from right outside of Baltimore, MD.
- What is unique about you and your music? I believe that the best and bravest way to live is to make our worlds as big as possible, to have as many unique and different experiences as we can. I believe one-dimensional lives birth one-dimensional music, and my music reflects that. I write love songs and party songs, but I also have songs about running from the cops, surviving domestic violence, and one inspired by a DMT trip.
- What shaped your music? I've played violin and piano for over 20 years, so that's definitely made its way into my music. I'm playing violin on my latest track, Tell Me That It's Real.
- When did you realize you were going to make music professionally? It was more that I resolved to make music professionally. I'd always played, and I have a degree in music education, but after I got out of a really bad relationship in 2015 I resolved to make my own music and actually do what I wanted and be an artist instead of a teacher. It made me see we all only have one life, and I don't have time for fear.
- What type of music do you listen to? Usually it's either downtempo EDM like Odesza and Bonobo or sensitive R&B/Rap (The Drake Lane).
- Who, to you, is the most undervalued music artist? Daniel Caesar is undervalued. The way he weaves the songs in Freudian together and creates a whole story of a relationship across the entire album is brilliant. I was shocked when he didn't win a Grammy for Best R&B album that year.
- How do you prepare for your performances? For three weeks before a show, I go to the gym late at night and sing through my performance tracks full voice on the treadmill and the stair master. I don't mess around.
- What ignites your (song) writing flow? Most of the time it's that I'll be talking to someone in my head, and I'll make a really good point...Most of my lyrics start from there.
- What do you do when you don't do music (creative or otherwise) and that you are passionate about? When I'm not making music, I read, fiction and non-fiction, and go to the gym.
- Success to you is...being good enough that I can walk into any room with anyone and have something to bring to the table musically.
- What do you wish you were told when you first started singing that you think would help anyone recently starting artists out? There are no shortcuts. Anything that looks like an easy way will probably give you trouble later on. Hone your craft, be the best you you can be, keep working, and legitimate opportunities will come.
- Any upcoming projects? My next single Tell Me That It's Real comes out 5/3/2019!
Where do we find your music / music project? Search Periii on Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal etc.
- Preorder my single Tell Me That It's Real on Apple Music: